Sunday, January 6, 2013

Nothing lasts forever

So this past weekend was supposed to be a weekend of fun and adventure, and that is NOT what happened.  I realized that me cutting out "toxic" relationships wasn't going to be an easy thing to do, nor did I realize that some of my oldest relationships were in jeopardy of being let go.  But as the old saying goes, "if you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans." Well, no kidding.

I left for Savannah, Georgia (well, Beaufort, SC first) and the drive down was GORGEOUS.  Long road trips remind you of how amazing this country is when you take away all the politics and the b.s. out there.  Anyway, making it to see my friend was like we'd never been apart.  So much fun!

Time in Savannah started out so well, getting food, seeing the city, finding good bars, etc.  To make a long story short, two arguments and a lot of chaos later, I ended up starting my drive back to Virginia much earlier than originally planned.  The details will remain between myself and the other person involved, so that's all that needs to be said there.  It marks, however, the end of a friendship that I've had for a very long time, nearly 12 yrs.  This is one of those arguments that feels more like a nuclear explosion, or a reactor leak, Chernobyl-esque, the kind that only cockroaches survive.  Both of us said and did things we shouldn't have.  But it is what it is, at this point.  I issued an apology, however it was probably meaningless. 

Moral of the story:  life in the military changes you, your friends are not who you think they are anymore.  Treat everyone with kid gloves and be a mouse.  In the end, the people who really have your back may Gibbs slap you, and give tough love, but nothing more.  They will be there to the end.  Everyone walks into your life for a reason, but not everyone will stay around forever.  The only thing we can do is move forward.  Numb yourself a little more and move on. This probably sounds callous, and part of me is just dead, but I'll survive.

3 comments:

  1. oh honey... i'm so sorry this happened :(
    we really need to sync our schedules...
    i never know when you work... :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :( I'll text you, this isn't quite the whole story... we need to do lunch again.

      Delete
  2. *gasp* did i miss your text?!??!
    you need gchat so i can talk to you while i'm at work... since you deleted facebook :(
    <3

    ReplyDelete